Skip to main content

Changing Seasons

 

Over the summer, I made it a regular routine of taking my tea, bible, and notebook out to my deck to enjoy the warm morning sun.  Murray and I went out early today and started the heater. We were still able to enjoy the morning sun with moments of cool air surrounding us.  Blankets and a heater help to stay warm.  I am hoping to enjoy a few more mornings before the cold fall winds start to blow.  I am grateful for the beautiful summer and now for the new season of fall.

It has been wonderful to have thoughts from others in our community, today Elsie Nickorick has sent me a thought from her corner at the Bentley Retirement Home.

Changing Seasons By Elsie Nickorick

September is my favorite month of the year, with many memories like back to school, harvest of the crops, and enjoying the vegetable garden bounty.

Presently, through in isolation and with all the limitations, we have the great outdoors which brings to my mind the hymn, “This is my Father’s world and to my listening ears, all nature sings and round me rings, the music of the spheres.” To Listen Click Here.

I watch the changes, the cool mornings, color changes on some trees and perennial plants, birds flocking and flowers turning to the sun’s rays to keep on blooming!

And please Mr. Jack Frost delay your visit!

As Roger watched the beavers, we all watch the changes as we enjoy our Father’s world.  Back in May at the Bentley we planted dozens of flowers, fourty large pots and many others on the ground level.  Some ready-made pots have added to the beauty around the grounds.

The small plants from the nursery were spindly, many had already bloomed, and with time they have spread and formed a united beauty becoming a bed of colors. 

The spindly plants needed care, they needed good soil, daily watering, feeding, weeding, dead heading and some talking to.  Like “how beautiful, how vibrant you are.”  All encouragement for them to grow.  The perennials needed to be pruned and hedged trimmed.  All a summer labor of love.

How like us as believers.  May we be good soil, feeding on the Word accepting pruning, abiding in Christ. Growing daily into the image of Christ.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 “There is a time for everything and a season for every act under the heavens.”

John 15:1-2 “I am the vine and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit.  While every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  All For the beauty of the earth.”

During this time of change and different routines let us be thankful for what is, and there is much indeed! For everything comes from God. 1 Chronicles 29:14b

Prayer: Father thank you for the changing seasons.  Help us to remember that everything comes from you and remind us to be grateful through all transitions in life.  Teach us how to pay attention to the beauty all around us, no matter what the season.  In Jesus name. Amen.

Thank you, Elsie for sharing your thought with us this week.  It is nice to have some pictures from the beautiful grounds at the Bentley.   If you would like to send Elsie a note her email address is: enickorick@sasktel.net

If you have a thought to share from your corner please connect with me.

Blessings, Robin


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good-Bye to the Horizon Students

Over the last six years, I have had the privilege to be a mentor and ministry supervisor for students from Horizon College and Seminary in Saskatoon.   It is an honor to walk alongside younger people and offer ministry opportunities.   God has brought amazing people into my life who have also encouraged me and helped me grow in my faith. Today, I finished up the administration side of being a mentor for Leah and Erin, the horizon students who were part of my life this year.    It is interesting to be part of triad-cohort, which is three people encouraging and walking alongside each other.   Very inspiring.   Both women have the heart to visit with senior adults, care for their well-being, and grow their own faith.   I do hope you had a chance to meet these young women. Hopefully, God will open an opportunity next year for a student or two to come and be part of the ministry at EBC.     A question to ponder:   Have you spoken w...

Remembrance Day

  Five days ago, a special friend sent the bouquet above for my 60 th birthday. Thank you to all who took the time to show your love to my family and celebrate my birthday.   I am blessed to have family, friends and community around to care for and love me.   For the last seven weeks, I have received at least two cards a day. Thank you so much.   The bouquet is unique not just for the love it reminds me of but also for the great gift of love given to all of us. As I mentioned last week, this blog has a theme going that is on remembering.   Tomorrow is Remembrance Day, and my friend Roger offered to share a post he wrote for us to remember.   Roger is a veteran and helped lead the service with me last year at the Bentley. When I started my journey being on staff in 2008, at Emmanuel, I became part of a team of people who lead the Bentley Chapel service each week.   I also helped with leading the Remembrance Day service each year, a well-attende...

The Gathering of Willow Trees

Last week, I decided to gather my Willow Tree figurines together.   I have about twelve of them. I had several in my office at the church, and others scattered around my home.   Each one arrived for a special event or situation that has taken place in my life. It was nice to remember how they came into my life and why. It is good to take time to reflect.   In the following display, I have placed soar, freedom, and hope.   Mark and Cindy, who are with the Heartland Regional Office part of the Canadian Baptist of Western Canada (CBWC), sent the flowers.   The Staff and the Board of EBC also sent their prayers and love through a lovely bouquet.   I enjoy having beauty in my home, especially when the item reminds me that I am part of a broader community holding me up in prayer.   Thank you to everyone for the creative ways you have expressed your love and care for my family during this crazy beautiful season. Soar arrived during ordination as a rem...