Skip to main content

Appriecate the Small Things



I have appreciated being with my grandchildren over the last few weeks as restrictions are lifting. They are part of my “pod bubble.”  I am holding Avery, who turns one on August 1 and with Alex now 8, and Teela, who is now 12.  I am learning to appreciate the small things in life, like a good cup of coffee with Murray first thing in the morning, warm days of summer (when it is not windy), and time with my family.  Memories of being with my grandchildren are treasures to cherish and to be grateful for always.

I will continue in this post, sharing a few nuggets that inspired me this week.  

Nugget One: I came across this article today from Crossway, on how to pray for your children (grandchildren) this summer.  There are a few thoughts I never thought of praying, click here to read.

Nugget Two: At the beginning of the pandemic, The New York Times offered free email updates from their news feeds.  I have enjoyed reading the daily briefs that come into my inbox.  Last week, a post came titled, The Five Rules of the Pandemic, by the Well editor, Tara Parker-Pope.

I have decided to keep these in my journal so I can review them often as the restrictions ease up.  The following are the five points paraphrased and abbreviated, but if you would like to read the full article, click here.

1. Track the health status of your area.  It is good to know the percentage of positive tests in your local community.  According to Pope, when the rate of cases is below 5 percent within two weeks, there is most likely proper testing to keep the spread of the virus under control.

2. Continue to limit your connections.  Be consistent with who you are interacting with regularly.  Choose your “pod bubble” of people, two or three other households who agree to take precautions for safety. 

3. Pay attention to your exposure.  Pope writes, to think of your activities as items on a budget: You will have to make trade-offs, balancing higher-risk events and interactions, like a dinner party or a haircut, with lower-risk ones, like grocery shopping.

4. Limit your time at riskier activities. When considering your outings, be aware of these things: How much open space is there, how many people will be attending, and how much time will you be involved.  It is wise to keep indoor events under an hour and to have on a mask during close conversations or singing.

5. Be aware and keep up your safety habits.  Pope writes that the trusted advice she has heard still applies as we move out and socialize more: Wash your hands often, practice social distancing, and be extra cautious if you or someone you know in your “pod bubble” are at a higher risk.

Nugget Three:  During this time, of walking through change that a pandemic has offered, I find these words fitting: Be Brave and Courageous.   During the past week, Psalm 27:14 has been my prayer: “Wait patiently for the Lord, be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.”  Spend time in prayer when anxious thoughts try to take over. God is faithful to bring peace when we turn to Him and wait.

My prayer for you today is that you will take time to appreciate the little things in life that we can take for granted, like spending time with those we love, especially children and the elderly.  For we never know what tomorrow may bring. 

Blessings and stay safe,

Robin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good-Bye to the Horizon Students

Over the last six years, I have had the privilege to be a mentor and ministry supervisor for students from Horizon College and Seminary in Saskatoon.   It is an honor to walk alongside younger people and offer ministry opportunities.   God has brought amazing people into my life who have also encouraged me and helped me grow in my faith. Today, I finished up the administration side of being a mentor for Leah and Erin, the horizon students who were part of my life this year.    It is interesting to be part of triad-cohort, which is three people encouraging and walking alongside each other.   Very inspiring.   Both women have the heart to visit with senior adults, care for their well-being, and grow their own faith.   I do hope you had a chance to meet these young women. Hopefully, God will open an opportunity next year for a student or two to come and be part of the ministry at EBC.     A question to ponder:   Have you spoken w...

Remembrance Day

  Five days ago, a special friend sent the bouquet above for my 60 th birthday. Thank you to all who took the time to show your love to my family and celebrate my birthday.   I am blessed to have family, friends and community around to care for and love me.   For the last seven weeks, I have received at least two cards a day. Thank you so much.   The bouquet is unique not just for the love it reminds me of but also for the great gift of love given to all of us. As I mentioned last week, this blog has a theme going that is on remembering.   Tomorrow is Remembrance Day, and my friend Roger offered to share a post he wrote for us to remember.   Roger is a veteran and helped lead the service with me last year at the Bentley. When I started my journey being on staff in 2008, at Emmanuel, I became part of a team of people who lead the Bentley Chapel service each week.   I also helped with leading the Remembrance Day service each year, a well-attende...

The Gathering of Willow Trees

Last week, I decided to gather my Willow Tree figurines together.   I have about twelve of them. I had several in my office at the church, and others scattered around my home.   Each one arrived for a special event or situation that has taken place in my life. It was nice to remember how they came into my life and why. It is good to take time to reflect.   In the following display, I have placed soar, freedom, and hope.   Mark and Cindy, who are with the Heartland Regional Office part of the Canadian Baptist of Western Canada (CBWC), sent the flowers.   The Staff and the Board of EBC also sent their prayers and love through a lovely bouquet.   I enjoy having beauty in my home, especially when the item reminds me that I am part of a broader community holding me up in prayer.   Thank you to everyone for the creative ways you have expressed your love and care for my family during this crazy beautiful season. Soar arrived during ordination as a rem...