Skip to main content

Ministry Moments


Well, the senior's gathering was a great start to a full year in ministry. The group was small, and it was good to see everyone who came. The devotional was titled, "Surround Sound Your Soul."

Quote: Music is God's best gift to man; the only art of heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to heaven. --Walter Savage Lander

I read a short devotional from 70 ways to beat 70: Keys to a Longer, Healthier Life, by David B. Biebel. The first paragraph: "Music has the power to lift our spirits; to touch those places in all of us that are hurting; to make us laugh, cry, love more and hate less. It's hard to stay sad and depressed when music is playing. And singing along, even if you can't carry a tune in a bucket, surrounds your soul with sound more personally."

As we grow older new circumstances come into our life that can knock our world, music has a way of calming the storms withing and also music has a way of bringing healing to our soul. Over the summer God used music in my own life to bring healing and wholeness in ways no one else could. Music is a language of heaven and is able to touch the deepest parts of our soul, no matter what age we are.

On another note: Coming up this week there is a town hall meeting on Saturday at Emmanuel and the annual AGM on Wednesday evening after the Table. As staff we were asked to highlight two ministries within our profile. I decided to highlight Heart Matters for Women's ministry, and Forever InMotion for seniors ministry. Barb Housen, who is in the picture with me above, bravely agreed to sharing her thoughts concerning Forever InMotion. Her main point: It is nice this group is not only for women, but for both men and women to feel they belonged. I agree!

Please come join us for Forever InMotion a peer lead group that meets on Wednesday and Friday mornings.

Two questions I ask those who attended the fall gathering:

What memory do you have concerning how music impacted your life?

How has God used music to speak into your life during this season of your life?

Please leave a comment I enjoying hearing your thoughts.

Oh, the picture was taken in Rob Priestly's office...I love the color of his wall and the many art displays.

Blessings to all,

Robin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good-Bye to the Horizon Students

Over the last six years, I have had the privilege to be a mentor and ministry supervisor for students from Horizon College and Seminary in Saskatoon.   It is an honor to walk alongside younger people and offer ministry opportunities.   God has brought amazing people into my life who have also encouraged me and helped me grow in my faith. Today, I finished up the administration side of being a mentor for Leah and Erin, the horizon students who were part of my life this year.    It is interesting to be part of triad-cohort, which is three people encouraging and walking alongside each other.   Very inspiring.   Both women have the heart to visit with senior adults, care for their well-being, and grow their own faith.   I do hope you had a chance to meet these young women. Hopefully, God will open an opportunity next year for a student or two to come and be part of the ministry at EBC.     A question to ponder:   Have you spoken w...

Remembrance Day

  Five days ago, a special friend sent the bouquet above for my 60 th birthday. Thank you to all who took the time to show your love to my family and celebrate my birthday.   I am blessed to have family, friends and community around to care for and love me.   For the last seven weeks, I have received at least two cards a day. Thank you so much.   The bouquet is unique not just for the love it reminds me of but also for the great gift of love given to all of us. As I mentioned last week, this blog has a theme going that is on remembering.   Tomorrow is Remembrance Day, and my friend Roger offered to share a post he wrote for us to remember.   Roger is a veteran and helped lead the service with me last year at the Bentley. When I started my journey being on staff in 2008, at Emmanuel, I became part of a team of people who lead the Bentley Chapel service each week.   I also helped with leading the Remembrance Day service each year, a well-attende...

The Gathering of Willow Trees

Last week, I decided to gather my Willow Tree figurines together.   I have about twelve of them. I had several in my office at the church, and others scattered around my home.   Each one arrived for a special event or situation that has taken place in my life. It was nice to remember how they came into my life and why. It is good to take time to reflect.   In the following display, I have placed soar, freedom, and hope.   Mark and Cindy, who are with the Heartland Regional Office part of the Canadian Baptist of Western Canada (CBWC), sent the flowers.   The Staff and the Board of EBC also sent their prayers and love through a lovely bouquet.   I enjoy having beauty in my home, especially when the item reminds me that I am part of a broader community holding me up in prayer.   Thank you to everyone for the creative ways you have expressed your love and care for my family during this crazy beautiful season. Soar arrived during ordination as a rem...